Autumn Chilli Non Carne
05 Oct 2015
This tasty chilli non carne is a perfect and simple weekday dinner. Not only is it packed full of veggies and pulses, it’s vegan friendly, super filling and really cheap! You’ll probably find most of these ingredients in the back of your cupboard.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
1 large sweet potato or two medium sized
Generous pinch of salt and pepper
1 large red onion
1 red pepper
2 cloves of garlic
1 cm piece of fresh ginger
1 scotch bonnet
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tin of drained kidney beans
200g red lentils
2 tbsp of tomato puree
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp Cayenne pepper
A few stems of thyme
1 vegetable stock cube
Steamed rice to serve
- First, preheat your oven to 200°C / Gas mark 6.
- Prepare your vegetables. Wash and cut the sweet potato into chunks, leaving the skin on as they are full of fibre. Cut your pepper in half and remove the stalk and seeds. Then chop into squares. Roughly chop your onion, peel and thinly slice the garlic and grate your ginger and put to the side.
- Place the chunks of sweet potato on a non-stick baking tray and sprinkle with black pepper and salt and drizzle over 1 tbsp of olive oil. Place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- On medium heat, place 1tbsp of olive oil in a large, non-stick pan. Add the onions and cook for 2-5 minutes until the onions become soft and aromatic.
- Add the garlic, ginger and red pepper to the pan and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes or until the peppers are soft.
- Make a small slit in the scotch bonnet and place it whole into the pan along with the chopped tomatoes, drained kidney beans, red lentils, tomato puree, stock cube, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, thyme and Cayenne pepper. Give all the ingredients a good stir.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, they should be nice and golden and add them to the chilli.
- Place the chill on a low heat for a further 15 minutes and stir occasionally. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in a bowl with fluffy white rice.