Thank you so much for your interest in pitching to gal-dem!
• gal-dem only accepts pitches via this form.
• We have five sections to pitch within: First Person, Music, Life, Culture and Politics.
• Within our sections we commission articles such as personal essays (and long-form personal essays going in-depth on a life experience), responsive opinion pieces relating to current affairs, Q&A’s with women and non-binary people of colour, profiles (single-interview features), multiple-interview features looking into topics relating to our community and roundup pieces. Please click through the links to see articles we particularly like!
• Your pitch should be no more than 200-250 words and set out clearly what you want the article to be about and include relevant hyperlinks for our reference. Here are some more extensive pitching tips.
• gal-dem receives a lot of pitches! Before you pitch to us please Google the topic to make sure it is completely original and not on a topic we have already covered on the site and that your pitch really highlights why this topic would be of interest to a wider audience.
• If we accept your pitch we will send you an email including a submission deadline, some advice and ideas on how we’d like to see the piece and a word count. We have experienced editors with specific knowledge in the subjects we cover who will help you to develop your article.
• Please do not expect to hear back on your pitch immediately unless we decide to commission. We are rarely able to offer individual feedback but do send out emails with group feedback once every three months.
• Often the reason why we aren’t able to commission your pitch is due to capacity and budgets (rather than it being a “bad” pitch). Please don’t be disheartened and do pitch to us again!